Infographic of the Day: A Complete Guide to Your Kitchen Tools

Pop Chart Lab gives us a taste of the many, many tools of the chef's trade.

Nowadays, everyone's a chef, what with the surfeit of cooking shows and a Williams-Sonoma in every last mall in America. But do you really know your way around the kitchen? Can you identify a rotary grater, say? Or a mandoline? How about a spider? (Hint: It does not have eight legs.)

This handy poster, by Brooklyn-based Pop Chart Lab, tests your culinary expertise. It organizes a mind-boggling range of cooking utensils into a single, digestible flow chart. Tools are arranged by function, then broken up into sub-categories (slicers, presses, spoons, etc.). Graphic icons give each tool a simple visual identity. The chart, in full:

What's impressive here isn't the presence of exotic kitchen implements — a spider, for the record, is a type of strainer — it's the sheer amount of gear out there. And the poster doesn't even begin to cover pots and bakeware. It's enough to make a culinary neophyte long for the pre-historic days of flint wedges and goat-horn spoons. Does Williams-Sonoma sell those, too?

Buy the poster on pre-order for $20 here. And for more excellent infographics by Pop Chart Lab, go here and here.

Add New Comment


  • Babette I Blaedel-Flajsner

    Very nice layout, will consider it for our cookery school. If you are going to tweak the IG to correct the ice cream scoop attribution I would suggest that you also take this into consideration :

    The 'cheese slicer' here is a short handled vegetable peeler . There is no long handled version on the IG, (the most common version in Europe), nor for that matter any veg peeler/knife what so ever - don't you eat veggies over the there? ((Long handled vegetable peeler = Pairing knife sized plain handle, with a 8-15cm long semi pivoting two sided blade set into (lenght wise) a hollow metal tube )).

    FYI: A common 'cheese slicer' (at least in Europe) has a slim long handle (pairing knife sized), with a 15/20cm tube protruding at the end which has a taught fine stainless steel wire stretched alongside it with a 5-8mm gap to the tube (like a violin bow with a long handle and one string), Chefs and keen foodies use larger slicers, generally horseshoe shaped with the taught metal wire straddling the U.

    The first mistake I think is grave, but it is probably not important to expand on the cheese slicers unless you are aiming this at the European market - and assuming that the common usage US cheese tool is the 'Cheese plane' you already show:-)

  • Michael Fryer

    The ice cream scoop looks suspiciously unlike an ice cream scoop to me. :-)

  • roxie katz

    Great poster. I hope they correct the pic for ice cream scoop; it shows a can opener.

  • Matthew Kovacevich

    This is a really excellent representation of what is in our cupboards and drawers, thanks for sharing it, but have them take a closer look at the ice cream scoop; it looks nothing like any ice cream scoop I have ever used, but more like an old school boy scout can opener. And I think it is missing the biggest culinary tool of all, Gordon Ramsay; but if he were pictured, he would crowd out all the other more useful implements in the kitchen.